On December 7-8th, Washington DC will host the inaugural TEDWomen conference, exploring how women and girls are reshaping the future; from the developing world, to the West.
TEDWomen intends to seek out talks about women and girls, not just by them. Though speakers and attendees include women and men, the focus of the conference is to explore the link between investing in women and the effects on economic growth, public health and political stability.
TEDWomen Live Webcast comes to Leeds
Leeds’ burgeoning Girl Geek movement, established in 2008 as a series of successful evening dinners, coupled with inspirational and enlightening keynote speakers, drawn from Google, Creative Commons and other high profile organisations.
Building on that community, we’re super excited to announce that on 7+8th December, Leeds’ Old Broadcasting House will be hosting a live simulcast of the entire TEDWomen conference, along with a light dinner on the evening of the 7th.
The speaker line up includes…
- Madeleine Albright, former US Secretary of State
- Johanna Blakley, Media maven
- Cynthia Breazeal, Roboticist
- Arianna Huffington, Journalist
- Donna Karan, Fashion designer
- Naomi Klein, Author & activist
- Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House
- Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook
- Ted Turner, Media entrepreneur & philanthropist
- Tues 7th Dec (630-9pm) – optional light dinner around 730pm
- Weds 8th Dec (1230-9pm) – open house
It’s going to be a very informal, “open house” atmosphere and people are welcome to drop by for any part of the evening.
TEDWomen will be simulcasting to 46 other locations around the planet and we’d love to have you join us particularly for the opening evening and refreshments (there’ll be a nominal charge!) on Tuesday.